Wine4people wine tasting-Relics by João Quintela in restaurant Via Graça
João Quintela, a very experienced man in this wine world, despite his own and very close people, think he still knows more about music than wine, to prevent some not so god wines, he brought a recital of 16 wines, being 10 in Proof.
The dinner began, with the entrees, of which a very succulent sausage balls, left us, immediately, a smile on the lips.
These wines accompany a dish of fish made by chef João Bandeira, owner of this restaurant, the Via Graça, “Salmon à Bolhão Pato”, in a bed of mashed, a dish where you notice the delight of the sauce, the perfect execution of the fish and the intensity of clams. A dish that thrilled all the presents and the whites made perfect harmonization.
3-In the aroma, cooked cabbage, the reduction present. In the mouth, surprising, balanced, fresh, alive. Gradually it will clear the reduction notes, it is very pleasant, until it comes back down the curve of pleasure, but it was worth it. It was a Portalegre, an imperceptible year on the label.
Unfortunately, we couldn’t get the image of this bottle.
Let us now take to the Red wines:
Behold, the meat dish comes, nothing less than a Wellington steak:
Slight sweethearted in the flavour, some dried fruit, in the mouth, enthusiastic about the balance of tannins, but with still, some acidity, finishes elegant and fine – Monte Velho 1994.
1 – Vibrant yellow straw color, in the large aroma salinity, in the mouth acidity well characteristic of a wood, it becomes evident to the takers that it is a wooden wine, it is pointed out given the dryness, be a Sercial or Verdelho, easy to drink, honey, some flower, a good and balanced wine – Madeira Borges Verdelho 1993.
1) The restaurant Via Graça clearly exceeded the expectations, in the service, in the excellence of the dishes served and in the fabulous view, probably the best of Lisbon, being an authentic viewpoint for, the “Castle of São Jorge”, the “Bairro da Graça”, the “Praça Pombalina” and the “Cristo Rei”.
2) Very pleasant atmosphere in the restaurant with complicity between guests and staff, promoting conviviality and harmony among all present.
3) The choice of wines by João Quintela, revealed himself of great wisdom, harmonizing beautifully with the dishes served and showing us that very old wines, mostly even with very low prices, can in the future give enough pleasure to drink them and reveal tertiary aromas and flavours not present in new wines. And the passion of old wines to grow…
4) The winners for the Wine4people will be the Chardonnay 1986 (White) and the Serra de Aires 1982 (Red), wines that still visually vibrant, in the aroma and flavours stood out and better provoked the harmony among the present.
5) Very sincere thanks to João Quintela and wife Paula, for having provided us with an unforgettable night of increased passion for old wines, tasting dishes that stay in our memory and do not forget the chef João Bandeira and the restaurant Via Graça .
Wine4people, 14 December 2018